educational leadership, education policy and the changing Chinese societies
Selected journal publication in English
1. Chen, S.Y. (2015). Boundary objects and boundary brokering to make the research-policy-practice nexus possible: The case of Chinese higher education field. Higher Education Policy, 28(4), 441-457.
2. Chen, S.Y., & Ke, Z. (2014). Why the leadership of change is especially difficult for Chinese principals: A macro-institutional explanation. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 27(3), 486-498.
3. Chen, S.Y., & Hu, L.F. (2012). Higher education research as a field in China: Its formation and current landscape. Higher Education Research & Development, 31(5), 655-666.
4. Chen, S.Y. (2012). Contributing knowledge and knowledge worker: The role of Chinese universities in the knowledge economy. London Review of Education, 10(1), 101-112.
Selected journal publication in Chinese
1. Chen, S.Y. & Meng, L.J. (2014). Education policy goal, educational issues and values in media discourse: Discourse analysis of two lists of top-ten China’s education news. Peking University Education Review, 12(4),116-129.
2. Chen, S.Y., Meng, L.J., & Zhang, H.Y. (2014). Education policy evidence in the big data era: The uses of evidence-based policy for modern education governance and scientific educational policy-making in China. Global Education, 43(2), 121-128.
3. Chen, S.Y. (2013). Typology of the interactions between academic logic and bureaucratic logic in Chinese universities. Journal of Higher Education Management, 7(1), 20-32.
4. Chen, S.Y., & Ke, Z. (2012). From personal troubles to public educational issues: Understand students’ academic burden in the real world. Global Education, 41(12), 15-23.
5. Chen, S.Y. (2012). Social micro-foundation and constructed reality of modern Chinese university institution: From a temporal perspective. Journal of Higher Education Management, 6(4), 26-30.
6. Chen, S.Y., & Lo, N.K.L. (2006). Forms of organized knowledge in universities: Four analytical perspectives of academic programs in Chinese universities. Peking University Education Review, 4(4), 18-28.
Selected book chapters in English
1. Chen, S.Y. (2016). Organizing teaching in Chinese Universities. In L. Leisyte & U. Wilkesmann (eds.), Organizing academic work in higher education (pp.132-148). Abingdon: Routledge.
2. Chen, S.Y., & Macfarlane, B. (2016). Academic integrity in China. In T. Bretag (ed.), Handbook of academic integrity (pp.99-105). London: Springer.
3. Chen, S.Y., & Lo, L.N.K. (2012). The trajectory and future of the idea of the university in China. In R. Barnett (ed.), The future university: Ideas and possibilities (pp.50-58). London: Routledge.
Current research projects
1.Curriculum strategy for innovation in the global cosmopolitan cities
2.Education policy response and public opinion of education
3.Curriculum leadership for social justice