Dr. Hantian Wu got his doctoral degree in 2017 from the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) of the University of Toronto, Canada. His research interests include comparative
higher education, higher education internationalization, and higher education policy.
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND EXPERIENCES |
Dr. Hantian Wu has participated in the SSHRC project “China, India and the challenge to Canada’ s diplomacy of knowledge: A comparative study of the internationalization of higher education” with Professors Ruth Hayhoe, Qiang Zha, Sheila Embleton, and Roopa Desai Trilokekar.
Dr. Wu’ s research for the doctoral program concentrates on China’ s higher education internationalization and its status within the world system of knowledge production, as well as China’ s
international student recruitment and its soft power goals.
His present research interests include China’ s higher education interna- tionalization, public and cultural diplomacy, international students in Chinese universities,and higher education
based civilizational dialogue.
CONFERENCE PAPERS |
- Wu, Hantian. 2017. Outward-oriented higher education internationaliza- tion of “gigantic peripheries”: views of international students in China and lessons for India. The 61st Comparative and International Education Society (CIES) Annual Conference, Atlanta.
- Wu, Hantian. 2017. China’s outward-oriented higher education interna- tionalization: A conceptual framework. The 61st CIES Annual Confer- ence, Atlanta.
- Wu, Hantian. 2016. Decision-making process of three Chinese interna- tional students of University of Toronto. The 60th CIES Annual Confer- ence, Vancouver.
- Wu, Hantian. 2016. A historical analysis: a comparative narrative on higher education internationalization in India and China. The 60th CIES Annual Conference, Vancouver.
- Wu, Hantian. 2015. National examination system in China: historical roots and present problems. The 59th CIES Annual Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Wu, Hantian. 2014. School choice, education privatization, and local level education reform in China: using education voucher in Changxing County as example. The 58th CIES Annual Conference, Toronto.
REPRESENTATIVE PUBLICATIONS |
- Wu, Hantian. & Panthaki, Neville. (2017). Higher education development in India and China: South Asian, Sinic, and Pan-Asian alternatives. Comparative and International Education, 46(1), 1-15.
- Wu, Hantian. (2017). New “startups” in a rigid higher education system: China’s young elite institutions. International Higher Education, 91, 32-34.
- Wu, Hantian. & Zhang, Muchu. (2015). A multi-perspective analysis: Sino-foreign joint higher education projects in China as policy media- tors, critics, and constructors. Comparative & International Higher Education, 7(1), 1-5.
- Higher education internationalization typologies in perspective: an exploration of a new typology for analyzing the direction of movement.
- Policy and implementation in China’s higher education development and de-Sovietization: Reﬂections from global, cross-national and institution- al perspectives (under review).