Dr. Tiruneh got his doctoral degree in 2016 from the Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences at the University of Leuven, Belgium. His research interests include systematic design of
learning environments for critical thinking focusing on speciﬁc domains (e.g., physics, psychology), and the assessment of higher-order thinking skills (particularly domain-speciﬁc and
domain-general critical thinking skills).
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND EXPERIENCES |
Dr. Tiruneh’ s main research for the doctoral program focused on the design, development, implementation and evaluation of learning environments for both domain-speciﬁc and domain-
general critical thinking skills.
His present research interests include design of learning environment for critical thinking, development of scientiﬁc reasoning, and assessment of the moderating role of epistemic beliefs on
effectiveness of instructional interventions for critical thinking.
CONFERENCE PAPERS |
1. Tiruneh, D. Asrat, D. (2017). Applying sound instructional design princi- ples to promote the development of critical thinking: Creating shared visions. The 4th National Education
Conference organized by the Institute of Pedagogical Sciences (IPS), Mekelle University, Mekelle, 28-29, April 2017.
2. Tiruneh, D., De Cock, M, Elen, J. (2016). Challenges in assessing critical thinking dispositions. Third Leuven Research Community Workshop on Developing Competencies in Learners:
From Ascertaining to Interven- ing. Leuven, Belgium, 12 – 14, October 2016.
3. Tiruneh, D., De Cock, M., Elen, J. (2016). Designing learning environments for critical thinking: Examining effective instructional approaches. Joint Meeting of the EARLI Special Interest Groups “Instructional Design” and “Learning and Instruction with Computers”. Dijon, France, 24 – 26 August 2016.
4. Tiruneh, D., De Cock, M., Elen, J. (2016). Designing learning environments for critical thinking: A perspective from instructional design. The 36th International Conference on Critical Thinking and Educational Reform. Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA, USA, 25 – 29, July 2016.
5. Tiruneh, D., De Cock, M., Elen, J. (2015). Designing a systematic learning environment to develop students’ critical thinking in physics. EARLI 2015, Book of Abstracts. Biennial Conference of the European Associa- tion for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI 2015). Limassol, Cyprus, 25 – 29 August 2015, pp. 96-97.
6. Tiruneh, D., Kassa, A., Tefera, Z., De Cock, M., & Elen, J. (2015). Designing a systematic learning environment for critical thinking: examining the effectiveness of an Immersion instructional approach. May Annual International Education Conference of Bahir Dar University. Bahir Dar, Ethiopia, 8 – 9 May 2015.
7. Tiruneh, D., Verburgh, A., De Cock, M., & Elen, J. (2014). Development and validation of a domain-speciﬁc critical thinking test. Conference of the International Test Commission.San
Sebastian, Spain, 2-5 July 2014.
REPRESENTATIVE PUBLICATIONS |
1. Tiruneh, D. T., Gu, X., De Cock, M., & Elen, J. (2017). Systematic design of domain-speciﬁc instruction on near and far transfer of critical thinking skills. International Journal of Educational Research (in press).
2. Tiruneh, D. T., De Cock, M., & Elen, J. (2017). Designing Learning Environ- ments for Critical Thinking: Examining Effective Instructional Approach- es. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10763-017-9829-z.
3. Tiruneh, D. T., Weldeslassie, A., De Cock, M., Elen, J., & Janssen, R. (2017). Measuring Critical Thinking in Physics: Development and Valida- tion of a Critical Thinking Test in Electricity and Magnetism. Internation- al Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 15, 663–682. https://- doi.org/10.1007/s10763-016-9723-0.
4. Tiruneh, D. T., Weldeslassie, A., Kassa, A., Tefera, Z., De Cock, M., Elen, J. (2016). Systematic design of a learning environment for domain-speciﬁc and domain-general critical thinking
skills. Educational Technology Research and Development, 64(3), 481-505. doi: 10.1007/s11423-015-9417-2.